Hair serum is able to smooth frizzy hair and make it strong, shiny and elastic. Hair serum is usually used by people with dry, wavy or curly hair of medium to long length. However, to find out if a serum is right for you or not, just try it. There are many recommendations on the use of hair serum on the net. Use it before, after shampooing, or after styling, although the latter is most commonly used to add shine to your hair.
In this article:
- Choosing the right product
- Using the correct amount of whey
- Serum application
Method one: Choosing the right product
1. Consider all your options before buying a serum.
Compare serum descriptions and choose the one that best suits your hair needs. Choosing the right serum depends on your hair type and needs. If you have thin hair, use a volumizing serum. For people with fine hair that does not require intense hydration, special lightweight serums are suitable. If you style your hair often, use serums to protect it from heat damage. In addition, there are special serums on the market, for example, designed to strengthen curly and wavy hair and to give the hairstyle a glossy shine, as well as serums to give the hairstyle a more natural look.
- An assortment of different hair serums can be found at major supermarkets or drugstores.
2. Apply a small amount of serum to hair before shampooing.
This step is optional. It is believed that applying serum to the ends of your hair before shampooing helps fight the chemicals in shampoos that cause frizzy and dry hair. To protect your hair, use more serum than usual. Apply 3-4 doses of serum to the center of the hair and be sure to treat the ends thoroughly.
- Wash and rinse your hair, be sure to rinse off all shampoo from it.
3. Wash and moisturize your hair before styling.
Another approach is to apply the serum to damp hair. During the shower, it is better to use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner for dry hair. And if you have wavy or curly hair, buy a shampoo and conditioner to smooth your hair or products for curly or wavy hair.
- Try to stop using shampoo for shampooing wavy or frizzy hair. If you want to give your hair a more natural curl, avoid shampoos, which increase the roughness of the cuticles and create a frizz effect.
- If you plan to apply the serum only to styled hair, you can skip this step.
Method 2. Using the correct amount of whey
1. Gently apply a couple drops of the serum to wet hair.
Do not towel dry your hair before applying the serum. Experts say serum is best applied to damp hair. Use 1-2 drops of serum on medium hair. Rub the serum thoroughly between your palms, and then distribute it evenly over the middle and ends of the hair.
- Try not to use too much serum as this can weigh down your hair and make it oily.
2. Style your hair.
Apply a heat protectant spray to your hair before styling. So that you don’t have to use more serum, your hair should be as strong and healthy as possible.
3. Squeeze some serum into the palm of your hand.
When finished styling your hair, apply a drop of serum to your hand. Nothing prevents you from adding more later. If you don’t want to stain your palm, squeeze some serum onto your fingertips.
4. Rub the serum thoroughly over the palm of your hand.
Rub a drop over the palm of your hand to distribute the serum evenly through your hair. It is unlikely that you want all the serum to be concentrated on only one section of the hair.
Method 3. Serum application
1. First apply the serum to the back of your hair.
Do not start on the front or top of your hair, so as not to ruin your hair with too much serum. Instead, gently massage the serum into the middle and ends of your hair with your hands, starting at the back of your head and working your way to the front of your hair. Thus, if you apply too much serum, it will not be as noticeable.
2. Use more serum as needed.
You may need to apply a little more serum to your hair. If your hair still looks a little dry, apply another drop to your hand and rub it well between your palms. Then distribute the product to the facial and temporal areas of the hair. The serum will make your hair less frizzy, more elastic and vibrant.
3. Curl small strands of hair.
Once your hair is saturated with the serum and the desired shine is achieved, it’s time for the final volume boost. If your hair is straightened, curl and style it properly to restore its energy.
4. Evaluate the work of the serum.
If the serum makes your hair greasy after a couple of hours or days, consider purchasing a different serum. You may have chosen the wrong serum for your hair type. When it comes to hair care products, trial and error will ultimately work.
Excessive serum will weigh down the hair and make it oily.