How to Dress for Warm Weather
Dressing for warmer weather is a great opportunity to showcase your personal style while staying cool and comfortable. Whether you’re trying to find your next summer party outfit or just looking for an effortlessly chic look for date night, we have all the tips and tricks to help you embrace the sun. It’s time to enjoy the summer weather while looking cool and feeling even cooler.
- Wear Loose-Fitting Clothing — According to Well Beings with Alyisa, July is the hottest month of the year, and the hours between 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. are considered the hottest part of the day. What does that mean for you and your outfit? If you can’t avoid staying indoors between the hottest hours, you’ll want to dress in lightweight fabrics to stay cool, especially during the month of July and any early afternoon during the summertime. By wearing looser clothing, you’ll stay comfortable even during the hottest parts of the day since the looser-fitting garments will allow for better air circulation.
- Don’t Wear Tight-Fitting Clothing — That being said, try to stay away from tight-fitting clothing if you can. While loose-fitting clothes allow for greater air circulation, tight-fitting clothing can restrict airflow. You’ll feel hotter wearing materials that are too tight or aren’t breathable. Synthetic fabrics can feel especially restrictive. Try pieces that have a relaxed fit or feel flowy for proper ventilation this summer.
- Choose Lighter Colors — Summer is the time to put on light colors and pretty patterns. Stay away from dark colors that can make you feel hotter. Light-colored clothing will reflect sunlight and heat, so stick to wearing pastels or white clothing during warm weather days.
- Opt for Lightweight Fabrics — As for fabrics, lightweight and breathable fabrics will allow for better airflow. You’ll stay cool when you’re wearing a light cotton tee or linen shirt. Chambray is also a great choice for summer if you’re looking for a more interesting texture.
- Try Sleeveless or Short-Sleeved Tops — Wearing loose-fitting sleeveless or short-sleeved tops in pastel or light colors is a great way to stay cool. Try a cotton shirt with a wider armhole or a linen short-sleeved top paired with a flowy maxi skirt. Combining lightweight fabric with light colors and loose fits ensures you’ll have maximum comfort and airflow.
- Get Dresses and Skirts — Chic dresses are a great way to look stylish while staying comfortable during warm weather. Take a look at different women’s clothing options for this summer that can be dressed up or dressed down depending on the occasion, such as a maxi dress or a midi skirt. A breezy maxi dress can be dressed up with heels, and a midi skirt can be made more casual with low heel wedges paired with a graphic tee. Flowy dresses and skirts provide ample ventilation for freer airflow around your body.
- Step into Breathable Footwear — While booties are so cute, they’re not very practical for warm weather days. You’ll want to avoid closed-toe shoes and boots that can cause your feet to sweat or swell. Instead, wear open-toed shoes made from breathable materials. It’s a great way to show off your summer pedicure.
- Don’t Forget to Accessorize — Accessorize strategically this summer by wearing accessories to protect your face and eyes from the sun. A wide-brimmed hat is a fun and easy way to get that beachy look. A lightweight scarf or sarong can be thrown over your shoulder for coverage and can be used for shade, too. Don’t forget to wear sunglasses to protect your eyes!
- Avoid Heavier Layers — Layering during the summer can be tricky. On the one hand, it’s quite warm outside, but once you’re inside you’ll be dealing with the AC on full blast and it can feel quite chilly. To layer up, use one or two lightweight pieces like a cardigan sweater or thin vest. Ideally, you’ll want to minimize layering at all during warm weather.
- Remember to Put On Sunscreen! — Stylish women’s clothing is a must-have for the summer, but you know what’s even more important than clothing that looks great? You’ll want to feel great by putting on sunscreen to protect your skin. Applying sunscreen with a high SPF will help block harmful UV rays. Choose a sunscreen with a lightweight, non-greasy formula, so you won’t feel sticky all day.
With so many options for what to wear this summer, it can be overwhelming to decide what to put on. When in doubt, opt for lightweight and breathable fabrics that can help you rest easy when the temperatures rise. While dressier events like a cocktail hour or wedding will require something more formal, you can get away with wearing cute shorts on weekends or even when you’re working from home (no one can see you on that video conference from the waist down!). Wear whatever makes you feel cool and comfortable, and you’re sure to beat the heat in style this summer.