Mushrooms, edibles are the fleshy fungus that is sprouting from the ground, in the ground from a pin stage to a button stage and a slightly larger one. It is completely vegan. Some fungi are also carcinogenic. Some people have a craving to eat mushrooms regularly, either with soup or pizza or even boiled. When going to pregnant women during their pregnancy, they have strange cravings. The cravings that are so strange we can’t even imagine. One of those cravings is to eat mushrooms. Eating mushrooms during pregnancy is not harmful at all. In fact, consuming mushrooms during pregnancy is nutritious for the mother and also for the fetus. There are different types of fungi present in the world. Only mushrooms that are edible, fresh, and non-carcinogenic should be eaten.
Is it safe to eat mushrooms during pregnancy?
Yes, it is very safe to eat mushrooms during pregnancy as long as you eat the correct type of mushrooms, that is, fresh, boiled and non-carcinogenic mushrooms. Mushrooms provide fantastic nutritional benefits to the mother and fetus. One study says that mushrooms, when cooked properly, are very safe to eat during pregnancy. Raw mushrooms are very dangerous because the mushrooms themselves are mushrooms that sprout from the ground and can contain toxins, heavy metals, and harmful chemicals that can trigger fatal problems.
Varieties of mushrooms that we can eat during pregnancy:
There are different types of mushrooms. Some of them are listed below.
A) White mushrooms:
These are common varieties found everywhere. They can be recognized by their pale white bud with a spotted top. The top is tasty and can be used to prepare delicious dishes such as soups, pizzas, etc.
B) Shiitake mushrooms:
These are black and have a leafy texture. They are popularly found in Chinese dishes.
C) Porcini mushrooms:
They are golden in color and very tasty. These are the most expensive and are used in Italian cuisine.
D) True morels (Morchella):
These are wild mushrooms and have an edible variety that comes with a hollow stem. Make sure to clean and cook them properly, as these mushrooms are likely to cause allergic reactions.
E) Chestnut mushrooms (Agaricus bisporus):
They resemble white mushrooms, but have a brown cap and pink to dark brown gills.
F) Magic Mushrooms:
It contains psilocybin, a chemical that alters brain activity and affects the growing fetus. These should not be consumed.
Other edible mushrooms that can be eaten during pregnancy are King Oysters / Eringi, Enoki, Buna-Shimeji.
Mushroom Nutrition Facts During Pregnancy:
- Mushrooms Are An Excellent Source Of B Vitamins, Particularly Niacin And Riboflavin. You Need B Vitamins To Promote Healthy Skin, Nerves, And Digestion And To Use Energy From The Food You Eat. One Cup Of Mushrooms Can Provide You With 21% Of The Recommended Daily Niacin And About 8% Of The Recommended Daily Riboflavin.
- Vitamin D Is Equally Essential During Pregnancy, As It Helps Absorb Calcium For The Development Of The Bones Of The Fetus. One Cup Of Mushrooms Contains 12.6 International Units Of Vitamin D.
- Blood Volume Increases During Pregnancy, So You Need More Hemoglobin, Which Means Your Body Needs More Iron. To Do This, You Need To Consume 25 Mg Of Iron On A Daily Basis. One Cup Of Morels Can Produce About 8 Mg Of Iron.
- Mushrooms Also Provide Antioxidants To Protect Your Cells From Free Radical Damage. Selenium, Vitamin C And Chlorine Are The Antioxidant Agents Present In Mushrooms.
- The Dietary Fiber Present In Mushrooms Helps Fight Constipation.
Health benefits of mushrooms during pregnancy:
- The Components Of Vitamin B In Mushrooms Include Riboflavin, Which Strengthens The Fetus’s Bones And Strengthens The Muscles.
- Mushrooms Reduce The Fatigue That Is Very Common During Pregnancy.
- Mushrooms Are Rich In Pathogenic Acid, Which Prevents Constipation And Digestive Disorders Commonly Faced By Pregnant Women.
- Niacin And Thiamine In Mushrooms Strengthen The Central Nervous System Of The Mother And Fetus.
- As Stated In The Nutrition Facts, Mushrooms Are Rich In Vitamin D, Which Helps Promote The Growth Of Fetal Bones. The Development Of The Baby Depends Mainly On The Food Consumed By The Mother. For The Development Of The Bones, It Is Necessary To Eat Properly Boiled Mushrooms.
- Mushrooms Contain Abundant Amounts Of Iron, Which Is Very Essential For The Pregnant Woman To Increase The Percentage Of Hemoglobin In The Blood.
- Mushrooms Also Contain Zinc, Potassium And Selenium That Help The Growth And Development Of The Baby.
Disadvantages of mushrooms during pregnancy:
Aside from the benefits, eating mushrooms during pregnancy also has some downsides. Here are some of them.
- As Previously Stated, There Are Different Types Of Mushrooms: Mushrooms That Are Edible And Some That Are Wild. Wild Mushrooms Can Be Tasty, But They Contain Some Harmful Toxins And Chemicals That Can Lead To Fatal Problems.
- Magic Mushrooms Contain Psilocybin, A Chemical That Alters Brain Activity And Affects The Growing Fetus. These Should Not Be Consumed Even While Breastfeeding.
- Excess Mushroom Intake Is Also Problematic As It Disrupts Metabolism, Which In Turn Affects The Fetus.
Incorporation into the diet during pregnancy:
Before consuming mushrooms, the first and foremost thing to do is wash and clean them carefully to remove dirt or grit particles and pesticides, if any. If necessary, trim the ends of the stems. You can use whole mushrooms sliced or diced.
- Sauté Any Mushrooms With Onions For A Quick And Flavorful Side Dish.
- You Can Add Mushrooms To Your Stir Fries.
- Top A Salad With Sliced Raw Cremini Or White Mushrooms.
- Stuffed And Baked Portobello Mushrooms.
- Adding Sliced Mushrooms To Omelets, Breakfast Stir Pizzas And Quiches.
- Sauté Shiitake Mushrooms In Olive Oil Or Broth For A Healthy Side Dish.
- Remove The Stems From The Portobello Mushrooms, Marinate The Tops In A Mixture Of Olive Oil, Onion, Garlic, And Vinegar For 1 Hour, Then Roast For 10 Minutes.
- Adding Portobello Mushrooms To Sandwiches Or Wraps.
Precautions to take to have fungus during pregnancy:
- Be Sure To Buy Fresh Mushrooms That Are Free From Decaying Spots Or Bruises.
- Make Sure Of The Expiration Date Of The Processed Mushrooms. In Fact, Stay Away From Processed Mushrooms As Much As Possible.
- Never Eat Raw Mushrooms. Clean Them, Boil Them And Consume.
- It Is Best To Check For Allergic Reactions By Taking A Small Amount Before Consuming A Large Amount Of Mushrooms.
- Avoid Consuming Magic Mushrooms At All Costs.
- When Buying Fresh Mushrooms, Choose Ones That Are Firm, Dry, And Bruise-Free. Avoid Mushrooms That Appear Slimy Or Wilted.
Mushrooms are an excellent and nutritious food for your inner fetus. Make sure to add them to your diet for maximum benefit. They are delicious and easy to cook. Interesting recipes can be found on the Internet. Enjoy the taste of mushrooms while your unborn baby benefits from its nutritional value. Always remember to consult your doctor in case you have any questions. After all, pregnancy is a time to enjoy and gorge on your favorite foods (with the necessary precautions)… Enjoy while it lasts!
Frequently asked questions and answers:
Q1. Is it safe to eat canned mushrooms when pregnant?
Years: No. Because canned mushrooms may contain preservatives. Try to avoid them. If there is no alternative, check the expiration date before purchasing.
Q2. Eating mushrooms while breastfeeding is safe or not?
Years: Yes, it is perfectly safe and very good to eat mushrooms while breastfeeding. The essential nutrients present in mushrooms will boost your immune system.
Q3. Can I eat mushrooms in early pregnancy?
Years: Yes, you can eat mushrooms during early pregnancy. Constipation and indigestion are the most common problems faced during early pregnancy; the fiber content present in mushrooms could help deal with these problems.
Q4. Is it true that the craving for mushrooms tells us the sex of the baby?
Years: False. It is just a myth of old lady sayings. It is not